Wednesday 28 January 2009

AC Slater



When i first found out about this guy, i hoped it was that Latino mullet wearing jockstrap of a human from Saved By The Bell who had somehow become actually relatively cool but turns out its actually a regular bloke hailing from Philadelphia but now residing in New York City. He was one of the biggest American hardcore and freeform DJs and in 2001 started the Pitched Up record label as an outlet for American hardcore music. In 2007 AC Slater moved away from hardcore and raves to focus on a more club oriented sound, getting commissioned to do remixes for artists such as Freestylers, Moby, Shwayze, Human Resource, and Drop the Lime. When asked as to why he started DJ'in he says "When I was really young, I went on vacation, and I had saved up all this money for the vacation with my family. And I met this kid, a friend of my cousin's, who was a DJ, and I was completely mesmerized so I took all the money I had and went to the pawn shop and bought a DJ mixer. When I came home, I started making hip hop mixes for all the kids in my neighborhood and it just kind of took off from there". Its not surprising then that alongside "old school rave stuff", early 90's hip hop has influenced his music a lot. In fact, AC considers De La Soul's album De La Soul is Dead his most influential album "because it's so humorous and fun, and well put together and so lighthearted, but at the same time it's really good, just bad ass".

AC Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Udachi Remix)

Math Head - Turn The Music Up (AC Slater Remix)

Everyday Hustle (AC Slater Remix)

AC Slater - Party Like Us (Bulgarian Remix)

Moby - I See The Stars (AC Slater Remix)

AC Slater - Poison


Myspace here

No comments:

Post a Comment